Trend Micro Virus Scanner
As of May 2011, the Trend Micro Enterprise Security product is now the official virus scanner to be used by SFU computers.
The main benefit of this product is that virus data files are stored on servers which get updated within minutes or hours of new virus signatures becoming available. The virus scan client uses the server hosted data, rather than locally hosted virus data, so all machines are protected almost as soon as the latest virus files are released.
The Trend AV Windows installer will remove McAfee automatically, though it is not advisable to rely upon this method. Here is the recommended installation procedure:
- If McAfee is installed on the machine:
- Remove it using "Add/Remove programs", removing the software first, then the agent.
- The McAfee Framework may be left behind in some rare cases. If NET START (run at a CMD prompt) shows McAfee Framework Service as running, it should be manually removed.
- CD to the McAfee directory in Program Files and run the following command: FRMINST.exe /Forceuninstall
- While not absolutely necessary, it is advisable to reboot after removing McAfee.
- Run the sfu_trend.exe file. When prompted for the name of the "container" or "domain," type: Siat
- If running in Windows 7, right-click on sfu_trend.exe and click on Run as Administrator.
To confirm that the installation is using the correct domain, you can check the registry. In XP, you want to look for a section called TrendMicro\PC-cillinNTCorp\CurrentVersion, in Windows 7 64-bit it'll be something like, HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\TrendMicro. Look for an entry called Domain or DomainID. It should contain the string, "Siat".
For installation information for OSX, please refer to the SFU IT Services Trend Micro web page: http://www.sfu.ca/itservices/technical/software/trendmicro.html
More detailed information on installation and Trend Micro can be found here: http://www.sfu.ca/itservices/technical/software/trendmicro.html